Friday, August 28, 2009

Death- The Order Of The Year 2009 (Yasmin Ahmad.....The Story Teller)


Good men must die, but death cannot kill their names. (Quote by author -- Proverb)
On Saturday, July 25, 2009, more than 48 hours after surgery, Yasmin Ahmad succumbed to her injury and was pronounced dead at 11.25pm.On Sunday, July 26, 2009, Yasmin Ahmad was laid to rest at the USJ 22 Muslim Cemetery in Subang Jaya, Selangor where her husband, Abdullah Tan Yew Leong, their immediate families, hundreds of fans, friends, industry colleagues and personalities gathered to bid her farewell.

If in one sentence I am ever asked to comment about YA's movies what would I say? I was asked this question just after the passing of YA by one of my colleague. I taught hard. I had watched Sepet unknowingly when it was first televised on ASTRO. It was a revelation. An important message depicted so innocently almost childlike. Having watched Sepet umpteen times ( I still watched it again and again on channel 110 YDK when it was recently shown in memory of YA) I made it a point this time to seek out GUBRA in the cinema in Kuala Lumpur in the year 2006. I had to breve the movie alone as no one was interested in watching a movie made by a Malaysian Director. No form of convincing helped so I decided I was on my own. From the time the lights went out and the title of the movie came on till the credits rolled I was mesmerized once again by YA. I had no words to describe what I had just saw. Any word from the dictionary would not have sufficed. I imbibed the movie as one would inhale a favourite cologne. After which my curiosity towards YA mounted and i turned to you tube to watch all the advertisements that were YA branded. I realised over the years I have seen all these touching commercials on TV during festive seasons and how it struck chords in me but never imagined that these were the work of none other than our very own YA. One commercial that stuck on was the one title 'Funeral'. I am married and hubby snores so I can relate to the protagonist that played the wife. Since our marriage we have never stayed apart for more than one day. Yesterday my hubby had to remain in Batam due to some work. Initially i was thinking it was a good break we would get from each other but after a while realised TV didn't seem so interesting without him and his small silly comments, food without him didn't taste so good, and our bed didn't seem so comfortable without us wrestling for the covers.
So if I were to describe YA's movies/commercial in one line it wd certainly be
' An ordinary/everyday message presented through extraordinary brilliance'

Rest in Peace YA.