Thursday, January 27, 2011

Batam Weekend - 21.1.2011

I jumped for joy when my husband asked me to join him in Batam for the weekend of 21/22.1.2011 as he was stationed there working for 2 weeks and would not be able to make itback for the weekend and since I have never been to Batam (only heard and read about it thus far) I took up the offer even before my husband could even finish his sentence. With a valid passport in hand no devil could keep me away from a holiday!

I started my journey on 21.1.2011 after work at 4.45pm. I didn't have a ticket in hand so my task was to take the 6.30pm ferry out and had to be at the ferry terminal ticketing counter by 6pm. Having caught a bus almost immediately I was thrilled at the time I was making. Little did i know that the bus at the stand wd wait for it to be almost full before snailing its way around town. Still I was relieved when the bus left the stand at 5.20pm giving me ample time to make it. You can imagine my horror when the bus swung around town and proceeded to stop again at a stand this time till 5.40pm. By the time his royal highness decided to pull out of the stand at 5.45pm I was gritting my teeth and cursing (so much for a holiday!) the bus. Keeping a vigil look at my watch and praying I am not delayed I heaved a sigh of relief when the bus pulled up near the ferry terminal. With just 5 minutes to go I dashed my way across and just by luck made it to the ticketing counter at exactly 6pm.

Having obtained my ticket, I had 20mins to kill till ferry time so this time I decided to walk slowly and make my way up to the departure lounge. Att exactly 6.20pm I boarded the ferry. I picked my seat by the window as I wanted to take a few pics and if tired sleep by the window. They ferry was very prompt and left exactly at 6.30pm. The journey was delightful and the scenary of the sea belanding with the setting sun was amazing. I manage to to get a few beautiful pick of the setting sun. Finally the ferry arrived at Batam Center at 8pm Malaysian time (7pm Batam time). Making my way out of the ferry, I headed towwards the Immigration and Customs clearance. I panicked when I saw long lines leading to the Immigartion check and was prepared to have a long wait but to my amazement, the check took nothing less than 10mins and I meade my way out where I was greeted by my loving husband. He guided me out of the terminal and into Batam Center Mall where we had some A & W for dinner whilst catching up on the week's news and gossip. Finally Emmy (our cabby) picked us up and sent us back to Novotel Hotel. The hotel being 4 * star was impressive. Cosy, clean and cold. I was delighted as a comfy hotel wd help me get some good sleep as I prepared for my sight seeing and shopping itenary the next day!

No comments:

Post a Comment